Journal metrics

Journal metrics

  • IF value: 4.256 IF 4.256
  • IF 5-year value: 4.819 IF 5-year 4.819
  • CiteScore value: 4.10 CiteScore 4.10
  • SNIP value: 1.412 SNIP 1.412
  • SJR value: 2.023 SJR 2.023
  • IPP value: 3.97 IPP 3.97
  • h5-index value: 58 h5-index 58
  • Scimago H index value: 99 Scimago H index 99
Discussion papers | Copyright
https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-2018-424
© Author(s) 2018. This work is distributed under
the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.

Research article 08 Oct 2018

Research article | 08 Oct 2018

Review status
This discussion paper is a preprint. It is a manuscript under review for the journal Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS).

Spatial Relationship between Precipitation and Runoff in Africa

Fidele Karamage1,2,3,4, Yuanbo Liu1, Xingwang Fan1, Meta Francis Justine2,5, Guiping Wu1, Yongwei Liu1, Han Zhou1, and Ruonan Wang1 Fidele Karamage et al.
  • 1Key Laboratory of Watershed Geographic Sciences, Nanjing Institute of Geography & Limnology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Nanjing 210008, People's Republic of China
  • 2University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100049, China
  • 3University of Lay Adventists of Kigali, P.O. Box 6392, Kigali, Rwanda
  • 4Joint Research Center for Natural Resources and Environment in East Africa, P.O. Box 6392, Kigali, Rwanda
  • 5Chengdu Institute of Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chengdu 610041, People's Republic of China

Abstract. Lack of sufficient and reliable hydrological information is a key hindrance to water resource planning and management in Africa. Hence, the objective of this research is to examine the relationship between precipitation and runoff at three spatial scales, including the whole continent, 25 major basins and 55 countries. For this purpose, the long-term monthly runoff coefficient (Rc) was estimated using the long-term monthly runoff data (R) calculated from the Global Runoff Data Centre (GRDC) streamflow records and Global Precipitation Climatology Centre (GPCC) precipitation datasets for the period of time spanning from 1901 to 2017. Subsequently, the observed Rc data were interpolated in order to estimate Rc over the ungauged basins under guidance of key runoff controlling factors, including the land-surface temperature (T), precipitation (P) and potential runoff coefficient (Co) inferred from the land use and land cover, slope and soil texture information. The results show that 16% of the annual mean precipitation (672.52mm) becomes runoff (105.72mm), with a runoff coefficient of 0.16, and the remaining 84% (566.80mm) evapotranspirates over the continent during 1901–2017. Spatial analysis reveals that the precipitation–runoff relationship varies significantly among different basins and countries, mainly dependent on climatic conditions and its inter-annual variability. Generally, high runoff depths and runoff coefficients are observed over humid tropical basins and countries with high precipitation intensity compared to those located in subtropical and temperate drylands.

Fidele Karamage et al.
Interactive discussion
Status: open (until 03 Dec 2018)
Status: open (until 03 Dec 2018)
AC: Author comment | RC: Referee comment | SC: Short comment | EC: Editor comment
[Subscribe to comment alert] Printer-friendly Version - Printer-friendly version Supplement - Supplement
  • RC1: 'Review', Anonymous Referee #1, 18 Oct 2018 Printer-friendly Version
  • SC1: 'RC', Macdex Mutema, 19 Oct 2018 Printer-friendly Version
Fidele Karamage et al.
Fidele Karamage et al.
Viewed
Total article views: 319 (including HTML, PDF, and XML)
HTML PDF XML Total Supplement BibTeX EndNote
252 64 3 319 3 0 1
  • HTML: 252
  • PDF: 64
  • XML: 3
  • Total: 319
  • Supplement: 3
  • BibTeX: 0
  • EndNote: 1
Views and downloads (calculated since 08 Oct 2018)
Cumulative views and downloads (calculated since 08 Oct 2018)
Viewed (geographical distribution)
Total article views: 319 (including HTML, PDF, and XML) Thereof 319 with geography defined and 0 with unknown origin.
Country # Views %
  • 1
1
 
 
 
 
Cited
Saved
No saved metrics found.
Discussed
No discussed metrics found.
Latest update: 20 Oct 2018
Publications Copernicus
Download
Citation
Share